Thursday, August 12, 2010

Le Food.

Assalamu Alaikum,

On Wednesday night, we decided to go out for Italian food. I searched online and found one that seemed nice and had pretty good reviews. It ended up being ultra fancy and the quality and taste of the food was just a cut above mediocre. J had a seafood risotto with scallops, shrimp, and lobster cooked in a crab consommé. I had a spinach and gorgonzola gnocci. I also had minestrone which was bland and absolutely not worth the $20+ it probably cost. What made the whole dinner interesting was the fact that we were practically falling asleep at the table because of jet lag.
Yesterday, I went to Suntec City, and was not prepared for the sheer size of the place. It was a mall, conference center, and business towers all in one. Well, there are 5 towers altogether. I found a gelato place there and finally had some gelato after 3 whole months. Unfortunately, none of the other shops really appealed to me so I caught a taxi and headed to another mall I had been to previously. I bought a belt for J since his had an ugly crack in it, and some cufflinks that one of the sales women convinced me to buy. They really train their people to persuade the shoppers into making purchases because I had seen the same cufflinks at Dillard's in Houston for almost half the price, but for some reason I still bought them.
At night, J had to work so we ended up leaving for dinner very late. All the places I had on my list were closed so we asked for a recommendation at the hotel desk. They informed us that some restaurants at the Riverwalk were still open so we headed there. We found one called Jumbo Seafood so we went there. It turned out to be a pretty traditional place with Mandarin/Chinese cuisine. I guess I was expecting more of a fried shrimp type of thing. J got a chilli crab and I got Malay-style seafood noodles. Which happened to have pork in them. When I asked if it was pork, they began to act fishy and said it was a dry chili. I ended up eating some flat, taste-less chocolate chip cookies from the minibar for dinner.

Today, I did not feel like going to another mall, and obviously not a garden, so I stayed in the room for a bit and read a couple of things online. J suggested I go out for a fancy lunch. As if I don't do enough of that in Saudi. I'm honestly sick of going out to eat fancy lunches by myself. In the end, I took his advice and went to one of the restaurants downstairs in the hotel. I ordered the Indonesian Nasi Goreng which was delicious and tasted almost exactly like the one we ate every morning in Bali, Indonesia. It came with chicken satay, which tasted like peanut butter when I first bit it and then spicy. On the side was something crispy and salty, so I inquired as to what it was and found it was dried fish. I'm not sure if it was fish or squid, but it was surprisingly good. It also had a piece of spring chicken and something extremely bitter on the side. Pictures coming soon :D

Hopefully, tonight we can try out one of the halal restaurants I found online since we have not had any red meat for a while. And, start partaking in a few interesting tours that I do not want to do alone.

Peace.

No comments: