Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Crazy Adventurous Day

Assalamu Alaikum,

So today, I decided I would head to the National Orchid Garden of Singapore. I had lunch at "The Deli" which is owned by the hotel and very yummy. Then I had the concierge hail me a taxi, and with my camera, mini tripod, and some cash, I took off. The taxi driver dropped me off at what seemed like a rainforest with a few small paths. "Are you sure this is it????" I asked him, not believing it would look like that.
I started walking down one of the paths, while simultaneously thinking this was a big mistake and I should not have come alone. Honestly, it was a pretty scary and widespread place to explore by myself. I found a map with rules and regulations and the first thing that caught my eye were all the notices about keeping dogs leashed and muzzling certain breeds that were dangerous. Of course that terrified me. I began to walk around and enjoy the amazing flowers and plants and take a few pictures. After about 15 minutes of walking, I came to the entrance of the Orchid Garden. Just to get an idea of the area, the Orchid Garden alone is about six acres. I purchased a ticket and headed inside.
It was magnificent. I began to photograph the fascinating flowers and that's when I noticed the sky seemed just a bit overcast. I looked around and the few other people that had entered the garden didn't seem to be bothered, so I kept walking along one of the paths. Ten minutes later, while in the depths of the gigantic orchid gardens, I heard thunder. Then, I saw the lightning. I wondered whether I should go back towards the entrance or try to make it to the exit where there was a gift shop. I decided to search for the gift shop and wait it out in there. Well, I did not make it there. The rain came down in sheets. I ran for the nearest shelter which was a building (Burkhill Hall, built in 1866) under construction that had a slight overhang. A few other people and one large group had also gathered outside of the building. We waited there for quite some time, hoping the rain would eventually lose its intensity. Instead, it got worse and I began to have thoughts of monsoons and possibly being stuck there for hours upon end. I did not have a cellphone with me so I had no way of letting J know the situation. After awhile, one of the members from the group went and bought umbrellas for the rest of them from the gift shop and they all managed to leave. I was left with a couple; the woman was reading a book and the man roamed about. Finally, after what felt like 4 hours, the rain began to clear and I saw sunlight. When the rain drops became more sparse, I headed for the nearest map, and figured out the way towards the exit. I made it there in about 20 minutes, and found that all it had was a gift shop and a refreshments stand. The taxi stand was on the other side. I ended up purchasing some gifts from the shop, then headed back out towards the taxi stand. I caught a taxi back to the hotel, and the whole way back the driver told me about interesting places to see. He also mentioned that the National Orchid Garden was the oldest orchid garden and that I should visit some of the newer, larger ones.
So, from now, I've decided to visit gardens and other outdoor type places with J and not alone. Also, I should take a book or magazine with me at all times. This is not the first time I have told myself that, but I always forget to pack one. At least I got some great shots since it was an overcast day and that is the perfect time for some great, shadow-free photography.

Check out the video I took while trapped and waiting for the rain to subside. I had to bring the quality of it way down in iMovie to be able to load onto Blogger. But you can still somewhat see (and HEAR) the intensity of the rain.

No comments: